Supported Child Development Program
The Fort Nelson Family Development Society supports children with diverse needs in inclusive preschools, childcare centers, and school-age care and community programs to ensure they can fully participate in as many aspects of the program as possible.
The Supported Child Development Program supports children ages birth through twelve years of age.
Note: Services for children 13 –19 are available based on available funds and workers.
Participation in the program is voluntary, and the Supported Child Development services are free of charge. Parents are responsible for all program fees.
Supported Child Development is based on the philosophy that:
- All families must have access to quality, inclusive childcare.
- Some children require additional support to participate in childcare settings.
- Childcare settings may require support to successfully include all children. These supports could include:
- Consultation with the Fort Nelson Family Development Society’s Family Navigator, who will share ideas, resources, mentorship, problem-solving, and strategies with the program staff
- In-person support workers to support one or more children in a program
- Opportunities for childcare staff and, on occasion, additional staff to increase the child/ staff ratio in the program